Monday, January 4, 2010

Do Better...

He came to my desk with a quivering lip; the lesson was done.
Have you a new page for me, Teacher, for I have spoiled this one.

I took his old page, soiled and blotted, and gave him a new one all unspotted.
And into his sad face I smiled and said, "Do better now, my child."

I came to His Throne with an aching heart; the year was done.
Have you a new one for me, Master, for I have spoiled this one.
He took my old year, soiled and blotted, and gave me a new one all unspotted.
And into my sad heart He smiled and said, "Do better now, my child."


Here's to everyone's "do better's". I know I am working on my individual "do better's" as well as couple and family "do better's". This year I am committed to setting goals that are a bit uncomfortable ...committed to setting goals that will MAKE me climb the mountain to be a better person. I want to prove to myself that I can do hard things. I'm sure challenges will come and go but I will be better for having gone through hard things.

One challenge that has already hit us in twenty-ten is car trouble. You know, the kind where we just sank $1400 into our car six weeks ago, $600 a couple months before that, etc., etc. When do you say enough is enough and just bite the bullet and get another vehicle? We do not want to do that. Absolutely do not want to do that. We have not had car payments for five years and we would very much like to keep it that way. But, eventually it just does not make financial sense to keep repairing a vehicle.

Big Mister was on his way to work this morning and the car kept stalling. Finally, he could not even get it out of park. We called our trusted mechanic and he towed him to his shop. Now we are looking at a huge chunk of change for repairs...a new motor is needed. Yuck.

I'm glad our other vehicle is newer and that I get to drive it. Ha! For all those curious minds, I drive our truck because it gets worse gas mileage and because it's newer. We decided when we got it that Big Mister would use our van for his commute vehicle and commute in it until it's death. We just want its death to be at least two more years away.

We are taking some time to think about and check into all of our options. Of course, we prayed immediately for guidance in making the best choice. It's so hard. I want to repair it one minute then not repair it the next minute. Ugh! Can someone just tell us what to do so we don't have to make the decision? Wouldn't that be nice.

The one big advantage to all of this is that Big Mister was home today and he got to pick up
the kids from school, which they love.

No comments: