
Today I am sharing a story that has remained with me since I heard it years ago. It is a touching story of a little boy and the message he has for teachers.
To My Teacher
It has been a long time now since little Rodney Branham taught Primary workers the impact of a teacher, just before he drowned.
Even his closest friends are now adults. And the Primary leaders have long since been called to other assignments.
But Rodney is still teaching.
This is HIS story.
In 1969, Rodney was only two-years-old when he was invited to attend Primary in the Buckeye Ward, then a part of the Phoenix Stake.
Everyone at Church knew he was a very special boy. He was so brilliant and most of all he was so eager to hear the stories of our Heavenly Father. He was immediately accepted, not only by his teachers, but the other children as well. Everyone loved to see him because he was so cheerful and happy.
During the next two years he grew to love his teacher. His mother later recalled that he would look out the window each day and wonder if it was Primary day.
Then, at age four, tragedy struck. Rodney accidentally fell into a nearby ditch and drowned. The family was grief stricken. So was the Primary and many others in the community.
Rodney's mother knew nothing of the Plan of Salvation and could find no solace. In her desperation she sought the one person Rodney knew and loved - his Primary Teacher.
Mrs. Branham turned to Rodney's Primary teacher and asked her to take charge of the funeral services. The Primary President, Sister Reed, felt prompted to give the talk at Rodney's funeral, which she did.
The Spirit was so strong and peaceful at the funeral that many commented on it. Rodney's grandfather, visiting from New York, even expressed an interest in knowing more about the Church because of it.
It was nearly a decade later, though, that Sister Reed discovered why she had been prompted to speak at Rodney's funeral.
In the Summer of 1979, she and her family had gone to Canada to do genealogy work. She found herself being drawn to a cemetery with many of her Robbins ancestors.
She thought it odd she should have a feeling to visit the cemetery when all of the work had been completed for that side of the family. It wasn't until she returned did she discover that Rodney's maternal grandparents name is Robbins!
She and Rodney were distant relatives.
But there was more.
Phoenix Stake Primary leaders who were touched by the devotion of a teacher, and a little boy's love for his teacher, shared Rodney's story with the General Primary President. She then shared it in the 1971 Primary General Conference to emphasize the importance of being a teacher.
Since then, Rodney's story has been retold many times. One of the Primary workers at the time of Rodney's death wrote a song for Rodney and recalls, "The words just flew out as the inspiration to write about a little boy, speaking from heaven, to his teacher came to me." She continues, "I feel Rodney has something to say, a message he's trying to get through. He wants his family to hear the gospel. I feel he wants his family joined together."
A seed was planted and one day this choice family of Rodney's will hear the gospel plan.
Excerpt from the song, "To My Teacher"
When mother heard that I had drowned,
She cried and cried,
then my teacher she found;
"Oh, teacher, please send him on his journey,
You know God's true words, and I have not any."
"I can still see him looking out the window saying,
Mommy, Mommy, is it Primary Day?"
It's been so long, I'm sure it's today.
Teacher loves me and shows her care,
She'll be sad at my empty chair.
My body small when laid to rest,
It did not need the earthly test;
Please tell my Mother, so glad she will be,
My spirit's alive, so no need to worry.
3 comments:
I love that story--it is the first time that I have heard it. It is very touching. Thank you for sharing it.
What a great story. I love your "Wednesday's Story" stories. Thank you for sharing. See you next week.
Post a Comment