A story of two best friends who "finally" fell in love!
BEFORE: Big Mister and I playing the piano and singing at my childhood home. I can't believe I'm publishing this picture!Big Mr. and I met while we both worked in my Grandfather's Grocery store in Mesa, Arizona. We were 16 years old...and we didn't get married for another sixteen years!
We became instant friends back then and I loved being with Big Mister's family. We "hung out" with a group of really good friends.
As time went on, and the course of our lives changed, I moved to Utah and attended BYU and ended up working there for eight years. Big Mister stayed in Arizona to work and attend college. For several years we only had contact at Christmastime.
While in Utah I dated a couple of guys that I adored. One of these guys was just all of a sudden, one day, engaged to someone else...and I thought we were dating. It was awful. I really thought we would get married. I had loved him since Jr. High!
The other guy, well, that's a story for another time. But let's just say I would have ruined my life had I married him after I found out what I found out. We were engaged to be married and I called it off...with not much notice. I felt like I was getting divorced. It was a very sad and lonely time. Clearly, the Lord was on my side as I decided to escape Utah and the memories there. Being home with my family was just the medicine I needed. Life went on.
Big Mister was all too excited to learn that 1) I was coming home, and 2) I didn't get married after all. We then began going out...but only as friends.
Shortly thereafter, I approached my 30th birthday and I was still searching for Mr. Right. I began to think I would never get married, but was comforted by a promise in my Patriarchal blessing.
One night when I feeling down about the situation, I began reading my scriptures. I was in Alma chapter 22 where Aaron is teaching Lamoni's father about the plan of redemption through Jesus Christ. At one point the King asks, "How can I have these things of what you are speaking about?" And Aaron says in verse 16,
"If thou desirest this thing, if thou wilt bow down before God, yea, if thou wilt repent of all they sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest".I read that last line over and over again. "Then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest". At that moment I bowed down before the Lord, on my knees and asked to know the things I should do to be blessed with a husband...the righteous desire of my heart.
I didn't receive any huge answer, just a peaceful feeling. I knew what I needed to do.
I committed that day to try and do better at EVERYTHING. I began with hanging a picture of the temple in my room (my visual desire to get married there). Under it I wrote a note that said, "Thank you Heavenly Father for my Husband" (Law of Attraction at work here). I did this as a daily reminder of the faith I needed to have. I also began reading my scriptures more often, attended the temple more often, wrote in my journal, did my visiting teaching regularly, etc. I knew that if I did these things, Heavenly Father would bless me with my righteous desire. I didn't want to do anything that would prevent me from getting the blessing I wanted (and needed).
One morning, a few months later (this was not a quick thing), I woke up and looked at the picture of the temple and a name kept coming to my mind.....the name of the man that I considered my good friend. The name of the man that I just "hung out" with. The name of the man that is now my husband.
I immediately yelled and cried out, "NO". I tried to make this name leave my mind. It wouldn't. Whatever I did the name would not go away. I hid under my covers and buried my head in my pillow to try and make the voice go away. I had not even considered marrying this guy - we were just friends. (Don't they say best friends make great spouses?)
I did succumb. I knew at that moment whom my husband was to be. It was an answer to many years of prayers. Here he was right in front of my stubborn eyes all those years. I know the Lord wanted and needed me to go through all of the experiences I had prior to marriage. I definitely made the right decision.
Eventually (and I mean eventually...he was SO slow), Big Mister proposed on Christmas Day and we were married the next May.
My message in sharing this story is the power of the scripture found in Alma 22:16. Use it and have faith in it. The Lord will answer your prayers.

4 comments:
He was the diamond in the rough just waiting for you. Grandpa Wright always said that about Freeman being a diamond in the rough too. Yes, good friends, good spouses. You guys are cute and your two little miracles.
That's a great story...Thanks for sharing!
Hi Carla--I just loved your story. Melchor and I were the same way but the other way around--He was praying and my name kept coming into his mind and I was the slow one--after all he was still in the Philippines and I was here--the Lord does work in mysterious ways--21 years and going strong. Keep in touch and take care.
I love that! I never knew you two met that long ago. how cute.
Post a Comment