We had the privilege of receiving tickets to the Sunday morning session of LDS General Conference.
Tickets are in high demand. I actually “scored” five tickets so we invited Big Mister’s niece along. She came up from Orem on Saturday evening and spent the night. We really like her visits, it’s fun to have family around. Every time we see her she has a different hair style. I’ll need to take some pictures of her….since she’s going to school to learn to do hair she and her classmates practice on each other.
We were up bright and early Sunday morning and in our seats in the Conference Center by 8:30 a.m. We got to watch Music and the Spoken Word which was a nice Sunday morning bonus.
It was fun to hear the choir rehearse then watch them get up for a break before Music and the Spoken Word began. I found it interesting to see the women bring in their purses and store them behind or under their seats. Interesting. When Music and the Spoken Word begins, most of the General Authorities and Auxiliary leaders are in their seats. There is only one minute between the choir broadcast and the beginning of conference. During that minute the First Presidency takes their seats.
President Monson’s sweet wife came in a wheel chair assisted by what looked like her daughter and granddaughter. They helped her to get comfortable in her seat. After the meeting we watched President Monson take over and push her in the wheel chair as he waved.
Sorry dad wasn’t in this picture. We snapped it while he was returning his pocket knife to the car. Of course, weapons aren’t allowed!
The kids were excited to attend their first General Conference.
And hear the words of a prophet and see him in person.
A favorite talk here.
An excerpt:
The Bottom Line
This topic of judging others could actually be taught in a two-word sermon. When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following:
Stop it!
It’s that simple. We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings with a heart full of love for God and His children. God is our Father. We are His children. We are all brothers and sisters. I don’t know exactly how to articulate this point of not judging others with sufficient eloquence, passion, and persuasion to make it stick. I can quote scripture, I can try to expound doctrine, and I will even quote a bumper sticker I recently saw. It was attached to the back of a car whose driver appeared to be a little rough around the edges, but the words on the sticker taught an insightful lesson. It read, “Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you.”
Great conference. Great Day!
p.s. For all our family and friends who want to come up for October Conference….you have a place to stay! Actually, you can come anytime even if it’s not for conference.
1 comment:
We might take you up on that! I just mentioned to Jared after conference how it would be cool to take the kids before they leave the home (which will only be a handful of years now, sniff sniff).
Post a Comment