You just simply can't beat the savings when making your own Laundry Detergent! I used to be incredibly picky...only purchasing Gain because I love the smell it leaves on my fresh, clean laundry.
Well, no more (unless it's a super, super, duper deal and I have a coupon) will I purchase Gain. This Laundry Soap recipe is really easy and only takes about 30 minutes to make.
Homemade Laundry Soap
I double this recipe so I can make it in a 5 gallon bucket.
Then I don't need to make it as often.
I double this recipe so I can make it in a 5 gallon bucket.
Then I don't need to make it as often.
1 whole bar Ivory Soap (some people use 1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap or Zote but I like the smell of Ivory)
1/2 cup Borax Powder (get box at WalMart - 20-mule team Borax)
1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (this can be found at Fry's)
bucket (Lowes or Home Depot - about $5)
water
*****USE 1/2 cup per load****1) Grate bar of soap in large sauce pan. I used my cheese hand grater. You can also use a food processor.
2) Add 6 cups Water and heat until the soap melts. (Microwave can be used for this step)
3) Add Borax and Washing Soda and stir until dissolved.
4) Pour 4 cups hot tap water into bucket.
5) Add soap mixture and stir together
6) Add another 22 cups of hot water and stir until combined.
7) Let soap cool and set up for 12 - 24 hours.
This is the gel consistency the soap has when set up.
No need to stir once you start using the soap. Part of it may remain "more runny", but you don't need to mix it as it is all the same thing and dissolves in the washer.
No need to stir once you start using the soap. Part of it may remain "more runny", but you don't need to mix it as it is all the same thing and dissolves in the washer.
TIPS:
Borax: Cleans and deodorizes
Washing Soda: Cuts grease and neutralizes odor
Bar soap: is a stain remover
You can add a few drops of essential oil right into your washer to add fragrance. I use lavendar.
Purchase a scoop with a handle to hang right on the edge of the bucket.
You can add a bit more Borax or Washing soda (about 3/4 cup) if you want more cleaning power.
Whites: when new wash in Mrs. Stewarts Liquid Bluing and they will stay more white.
Whites: if not new, add 3/4 cup bleach to your load.
This works with front load washers as it does not create a lot of suds. Several people have said they use it in the front loader without problems. Use 2 Tablespoons. You can add the detergent right in with the clothes and it works great.
Rather than using the 5 gallon bucket, before it gels up, you can pour into gallon jugs (like a gallon vinegar jug). Then you can shake it a bit and pour into a 1/2 measure for each load. It may set on your shelf better this way.
The Fels Naptha Bar is a super great stain remover. Just rub directly on the stain and throw garment in the washer.
Cost
I haven't exactly figured this out yet. Some people say it is one penny per load, maybe two pennies per load. It's a huge savings in any case.
Borax: Cleans and deodorizes
Washing Soda: Cuts grease and neutralizes odor
Bar soap: is a stain remover
You can add a few drops of essential oil right into your washer to add fragrance. I use lavendar.
Purchase a scoop with a handle to hang right on the edge of the bucket.
You can add a bit more Borax or Washing soda (about 3/4 cup) if you want more cleaning power.
Whites: when new wash in Mrs. Stewarts Liquid Bluing and they will stay more white.
Whites: if not new, add 3/4 cup bleach to your load.
This works with front load washers as it does not create a lot of suds. Several people have said they use it in the front loader without problems. Use 2 Tablespoons. You can add the detergent right in with the clothes and it works great.
Rather than using the 5 gallon bucket, before it gels up, you can pour into gallon jugs (like a gallon vinegar jug). Then you can shake it a bit and pour into a 1/2 measure for each load. It may set on your shelf better this way.
The Fels Naptha Bar is a super great stain remover. Just rub directly on the stain and throw garment in the washer.
Cost
I haven't exactly figured this out yet. Some people say it is one penny per load, maybe two pennies per load. It's a huge savings in any case.
8 comments:
I might have to try this, though I am a sucker for TIDE and will scrimp on a lot of other things, but not my TIDE. LOL
I have a great homemade cleaning spray on my blog you need to check out - it is wonderful! Cleans as well as 409 (or better) but w/out the harsh chemical smell and is safe around kids & animals.
On second thought, if you're interested, just e-mail me and I'll send you the recipe. Talk about simplifying, I just saved you 20 minutes of not having to go through all my old posts! LOL
lepsik73@yahoo.com
Ali,
I think I know the formula you are talking about. Soda, Borax, dawn.... Is that the one you use? I'll check your blog, too.
so is this the recipe that you made with the big bucket, or the original recipe?
Jessica,
I doubled the recipe for the big bucket.
Hey Carla, I was wondering how much you use of it per load?
How does this work when it's not liquid because of the thickness. How does it leave the laundry soap compartment? Just wondering for my HE washer.
Thanks.
Kimberly,
Others that have front loaders say they put the detergent right in with the clothes. It works well and dissolves fine.
Sheri,
I use 1/2 cup per load.
Post a Comment