Frugality isn't just about saving money. It is being a good steward of the gifts God has given us!
I have been a "couponer" for lots of years. It's just part of me now. I love the thrill of getting a good deal and hate to pay full price for anything. Most people don't use coupons because they "have" to. They use coupons because they "want" to.
For most families, Groceries is the #1 area of the budget that can be cut back.
Couponers (or coupon queens) don't shop like normal people. Normal shoppers go to the store with a list of things they need and get those items. Maybe they have a coupon or two and may even save a few dollars.
But that is not how a Coupon Queen shops. We go into the store armed with a list of things we know are on sale and coupons to match those sale items. Many of the items are free. I don't shop for the items I need. I shop for items that cost pennies or that are free. Eventually most items will go on sale.
I shop in advance. Meaning, I don't shop for cereal (or whatever) when my family needs it. I shop for cereal when it's on sale. I purchase enough to last until the next sale, even if I am not out of it. By doing this on every item we use I never pay full price. This includes groceries, health and beauty, laundry, household products and more! The non-food items are huge with couponing...lots of free stuff. This strategy is called stockpiling. It's stocking up when items are on sale instead of waiting until I need them an running the risk of paying full price.
It takes a few months to get a healthy stockpile built, but once it's built the list of items I 'need' each week is extremely small.
Many people ask me how how I save so much money at the grocery store. Coupons are the real key.
This is my coupon binder. My friend Kimberly helped me organize this several years ago. It's the same binder, stains and all....but it works great for me. It's zippered so no chance of a coupon falling out.
This is how one single store page looks:
There are nine pockets on each page. Since I get three Sunday papers I have three of each coupon. In each pocket are two types of coupons, so six total coupons stuffed back to back in each pocket so when you turn the page you can see the front of the one behind. Make sense?
Don't clip coupons for items you will never use, even if they are free with a coupon. For me, it's sugar cereal and snacks and those type items.
4 comments:
Man you ARE the coupon queen Carla! Thank you for sharing this wisdom (and all the other tidbits I find on your blog!).
I do have a question - do you often find that your coupons expire before you find a sale on the item? Do you go through and purge regularly to be sure you're not letting any "good ones get away?" Will you use a great coupon on a full-priced item, or are you disciplined enough to just let it slide?
My dad used to say "I can't afford to save that much money" when I would tell him what a screamin' deal I'd gotten on a pair of shoes or something, and I think I still have the mindset that if I'm getting what I perceive to be a screamin' deal I can't pass it up.
What are your strategies in that respect? You don't have to answer here, but I would love to talk to you about this sometime. Nicole Bailey said we need to get you to teach us a workshop, and it sounds like you've had a lot of friends asking, so maybe we SHOULD set something up? Just one more thing for your busy schedule...
I'm SO excited to come to your finance class, whenever it's rescheduled! I love that you posted pictures of your coupon binder! I'm using thegrocerygame.com (Teri's List) to shop now and I love it. I want to pick your brain about your system! I'm all about saving money:-)
You are awesome! I am saddened to know that I will never be this awesome.
Well,... Atleast untill all these crazy kids are safely tucked away in school! I'm prego #5 right now so that may be a few years away...
Till then I will up to you in awe!
Thanks for posting the pictures of your binder. I have since set up my coupons the same way.
John Merrell
Post a Comment