Monday, April 11, 2011

Tests and Blessings

TESTS

Last week

1) a water leak was found in our home because the drywall in the ceiling began to bulge.  Wet drywall = never a good sign.   We were not thrilled.  Not thrilled AT ALL.

2) One of our A/C units stopped working.  Great.  Just great.

3) Floodlight broken in the backyard from one of the kids balls.  Thanks for letting me know kids.  NOT.

4) Granite tile breaks on the sides of the counter when my range is pulled out so the new one can be put it.  The tile falls to the floor and shatters all over.  Ok, now what else?  Are our walls going to cave in?

More tests:

5)  AIMS testing this week.  Poor kiddos!  They were all nervous about these tests…I think the teachers make them more nervous than need be.  They were sure to remind me that they needed to eat a healthy breakfast.  We had eggs, toast, turkey bacon and cantaloupe. 

6)  I went out to run my list of errands and found a flat tire.  I’m stuck at home.

BLESSINGS

1)  Plumber was summoned.  No water leak was found.  It was determined that Little Mister let the bath tub water run over (for shame!)  A drywall patch done by me and we are good to go.   We originally thought this repair could cost us big time, but it was less than $100. 

2)  We thought the A/C problem was the thermostat because the thermostat would no longer accept a program.  I replaced the thermostat with a cheap programmable model.  It would not work with our wiring configuration.  Back to Home Depot to purchase the more expensive thermostat that I should have purchased in the first place.  All installed and still not working.  My handyman brother-in-law was called to be sure I had installed it correctly.  Wire tester found no power coming through.  Ugh!   A/C repairman was called.   The cause determined was an intermittent short and a fuse was replaced.   This was a five day ordeal!  We were fortunate that it was a cooler weather week.   We originally thought the problem might be the compressor which can be costly.  Total repair was less than $200, including the new thermostat.  Another blessing is that the broken A/C was the downstairs unit so we were still able to sleep comfortably using the upstairs unit at night :)

3)  Pretty simple fix on the floodlight.  I had to pull out part of the old fixture and then I could simply screw in a new light.  Works great.

4)  Luckily, once the new range was installed, the broken tiles are not noticeable and really not a big deal.  And, I was able to make the tile under the range sparkle!

5)  AIMS testing will be finished this week and there is no homework!

6)  Big Mister has been wanting me to bake cookies to take in to his co-workers because his last day of work in AZ is Wednesday.   Since my car will not take me anywhere today, I’ll bake instead.  Oh, and all the 14-15 year old scouts are coming over Wednesday evening for a cookout and they want dessert to be made by me.  So, I’ll do that today, too.  The scouts wanted one last rendezvous with Big Mister and his cooking.  Big Mister will change the tire tonight…not fun for him.  But it is a blessing for me that he is still here and can help.

No comments: