Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wednesday’s Story

I’ve been missing my Wednesday’s stories but it’s so hard to find the time to write them.   I need to find the time because I have so many more stories to go.   I plan on having a “Wednesday’s Story Book” made as a part of my history for my kids.  So, here’s another one. 

In the early 1990’s I was attending BYU and working at an Educational Software Company in Orem, Utah.   I worked in the Accounting Department and found my niche.  I loved it and the work seemed to come very easily.  I moved up as far as I could go without a degree.   I decided I better complete my Accounting Degree as a means to support myself into the future.   I did  complete my degree and am thankful everyday that I received the inspiration to do so.

When I was based out of Utah I had the privilege of traveling on audit trips throughout the country.   It was great fun travelling alone into foreign lands, renting cars, flying, visiting new places and touring a bit, eating different foods, staying in great hotels and even flying in puddle jumper airplanes over alligator infested waters!   My kids often ask what states I have been to so here it goes for the record:  California, Washington, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Minnesota, Tennessee (toured Graceland), Georgia, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Illinois, Texas, Nevada, West Virginia, Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland, Mississippi and Oklahoma.  I’d really love to get to Hawaii and New York some day.

I loved the company I worked for, my job was great and my co-workers were amazing.  However, as sometimes happens, our company was bought out by Jostens (the class ring company) and we became Jostens Learning Corporation.  I felt my life being turned upside down, again!

Sadly, the offices in Utah were closing.  I was offered a job in Phoenix which I was very grateful and excited for.  After all, Phoenix was my home and I would be back with my family and away from an ex-fiancé that I was having a hard time cutting ties with.  Leaving Utah was very emotional and incredibly difficult.  But, I was coming home to my mom and my sisters….oh, and the rest of my family and friends, too! scan0001What I didn’t realize is that I was just about to meet my new friend, Harriet.  My Jewish friend as I call her.   I love her.  I was nothing like she thought a girl would be that was from “Utah” (She didn’t realize I was really from Arizona).  I didn’t have horns, four husbands or twenty children.  (Yes, she really thought that).  She said upon our first meeting, “you’re just a regular girl”.  I took it as a compliment.   She freely admits that she should have educated herself more on my religion and wished she would not have believed the inaccuracies people were feeding her.  A great lesson for all to learn!

The picture above is Harriet and I with our my big hair.  We were at the Women’s Expo in Phoenix and had a grand time.  I remember we met that morning at Harriet’s favorite bagel shop in Phoenix then off to the Civic Plaza we went.  Oh, how I loved that hair, the bigger the better!   I loved the jacket and big earrings, too.  Isn’t it funny how we look back at pictures and it brings such fun memories.  I thought I looked so dressed up!  I am sure I’ll look back at pictures of myself in the year 2010 and wonder why my hair was so flat and ask myself why I was wearing “that”!  Ha.

Harriet worked along side me at Jostens Learning Corporation.  Our friendship came instantly and so easily.  We worked together for nearly ten years. 

For my 30th birthday, Harriet and some other co-workers were up to their regular  antics.   I came into work wondering why all eyes were upon me.  As I entered my office I figured it out.  My entire office had been decorated with “OLD MAID” cards.  Just the old maid.  They had made multiple copies and taped her everywhere.  It really was quite funny.   I wasn’t the only old maid as Harriet was older than me and still single herself!  Ha.  We all had a good laugh and a great lunch together later that day.scan0003-1

This picture was taken at a work Holiday Party.  We were both still SINGLE.  What a time we had (for two girls that didn’t drink or get into trouble we had some pretty crazy times together).   Oh, the stories I could tell! 

Harriet is extremely witty, loves to shop and makes everyone laugh.  Together we went through many a relationship, lots of shopping, losing parents, illnesses, surgeries, job changes, my marriage, her marriage, my struggle to have children and her struggle with only being able to have one child.   All things that make a friendship endearing. 

Harriet is an only child.  She was always intrigued with my big family of ten siblings.  She came to many of my family Easter parties and Christmas parties.  Whatever was planned, Harriet was invited (and whomever she happened to be dating at the time).  She was always 'dressed to the nines’. 

On one occasion Harriet came with me to our family cabin in Pinedale.  What a fun weekend.  I was so excited to have her come and my family took to her just like I did.   She totally took it all in, the large family, the great food, the pines, the joy, the kids, the games, the walks, the stories and the laughter.  The highlight of her weekend was when we joined around the piano and sang songs all about Christ.  She joked with her father that she was a Jewish girl singing praises about Christ…and she didn’t balk or hesitate one bit.  She was just having a good time enjoying other traditions. scan0002

Harriet had this “Friendship poem” made for me one Christmas.  It hung in my room in a blue frame for many years before I got married.  It’s actually bigger than this scan. 

We have both moved on from Jostens Learning Corporation.  I quit working when Little Miss came along.  Harriet landed a job at another Phoenix based company.  Jostens Learning Corporation is now Compass Learning based out of Texas.  It’s amazing how we can call each other every few months now and pick up right from where we left off.  True friendship for sure. 

A few months ago Harriet called to let me know she was able to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert.  She was so excited to tell me about it. 

It doesn’t matter what you go through, there is always something wonderful on the other side.  Harriet became my wonderful friend on the other side of a difficult move.  I am so glad to have her in my life.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

What a great story! I love Harriet! I remember us going to her house for a party. I also remember going to eat at her favorite chinese restaurant. It would be great to see her again.

Love the big hair!