Thursday, August 26, 2010

Today

I had to….

1) Deal with Little Mister that likes to get up way too early so he can go on a walk (he rides his bike) with his dad.  He is supposed to be ready by 7:00 am. head to toe with bed made, room clean, backpack on the counter, water bottle filled, etc.  He has been slipping up already this school year.  Consequences are in order.  And, he was found in our bonus room last night asleep on the couch with the TV on.  Uh Oh!  That is a huge no no.  What kind of natural consequence comes with that?  No TV or Wii for a week?  Hmmm.

2) Deal with a Little Miss that likes her sleep.  She’s a bear and is a “crankster” in the mornings.  She’s a night owl like her mommy!  She is supposed to be up and ready for breakfast by 7:15 am.  Her time is later than Little Mister’s just because she doesn’t get up until just before 7:00 am.  The first week school started she left her room a mess one day with clothes on the floor and her bed unmade.  She did not like her consequence of early bedtime for three nights (because she’s just too tired to get up and clean her room…she must need more sleep), so she has been really good about leaving her room clean.  If only I could get her to wake up on the right side of the bed:)

3)  Swept the back porch of all the debris from the wind, watered the potted plants and hosed down everything nice and clean.  The reason I was even out in the back before the kids left for school is because of a darn neighborhood cat.  That thing comes to our yard every morning and I think it uses our garden soil for a litter box.  The kids are always out there giving it milk and making it feel at home.  I want the cat to feel as unwelcome as possible.  One day I’m going to catch that thing and drive it far, far away.  The kids have even named the cat. Yikes!  I don’t want a cat.  I don’t even want a dog, a fish, a gerbil or a frog. 

4)  Cleaned out threw everything away from the freezer and refrigerator in the garage that magically stopped freezing/cooling over night.  Thrown away were 5 lbs of butter, lots of frozen vegies, three loaves of homemade bread, lots of cheese, and to my utter disappointment, 10 pints of homemade strawberry jam.  Sigh.   I also found a stash of pretzel M&M’s that I hidden away for baking cookies.  They would taste so yummy in cookies, I thought.  I was so upset about the situation I found myself in, that I broke open the bag and ate a handful.  If the bag is not open…I don’t even touch.  But, once it’s open I cave.  So, you know what I did after the kids left for school?  I was so irritated with myself for eating those M&M’s that I dumped the rest of the bag down the garbage disposal.  Yep, I sure did!  Now they won’t be calling my name. 

5) Rode bikes with the kids to school.  I have to make sure Little Mister doesn't speed ahead and leave Little Miss in the dust.   He’s her protector as I keep telling him.  They must stay together.  But, that competitive nature in him tells him that he must speed ahead and get there fast, furious and FIRST!

6) Began a major cleaning of our master bedroom closet.  I have a pile of jeans ready for the donation bin that the school is collecting.  A pile for Goodwill and a pile for family to go through.   And that’s just the beginning.  Going in to the Fall season always makes me want to clean, clean out, get rid of and simplify.

7) I needed a shopping break.  Off to Dillard’s I went (they have great sales).  It must have been inspiration because I found several really good deals.  I really don’t go very often, however, they say if you go often and check the sale racks you can find some great items.  I found my father in-law a couple of shirts for $9.60 + 40% off which was about $5.76 per shirt.  The good Roundtree and Yorke brand to boot!  I also found myself a couple of shirts and a pair of pants for about $10 each.  Not bad.

8)  Thought several times about my dear friend who is having major surgery today.  I love you and know that you are going to be just fine.  You have a long life ahead and it will be magnificent :)

9)  Now it’s 3:08 and the kids are out of school.  I’m hopping back on my bike to go meet them.  Then it’s the same old grind after school.  Snack.  Homework.  Piano practice.  Tonight Little Mister is getting his 8 yr old picture taken in his new suit and he also has his first pack meeting. 

Life is great.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Oh sister, I feel your pain. It's the same way with Jacob & Elsa. Jacob was always up at the crack of dawn, regardless of what time he went to bed. Elsa is just like Gracie. I wish I was as strong as you. I gave up on the clean room in the morning a long time ago. Sigh. Now I just keep their door closed. Have a great day!