It’s a wonderful thing when the kids are old enough to begin doing “real” chores. We just can’t wait for him to be old enough to mow the lawn!
So, we have more to report on Little Mister. It has not ended :(
Our Pediatrician wanted us to do one last test due to Little Mister having a not so common for young boys, Urinary Tract Infection. Last week I took him to Phoenix Children’s Hospital for a VCUG which is an x-ray examination of a child's bladder and lower urinary tract. This was not fun for him as they had to place a small tube inside him so they could shoot the contrast material into his bladder and let his bladder get really, really full. This is the only way to see what’s going on. He hated it!
I may not get all the terms right, but he has what the doctor thought he might have. He has stage 4 (out of 5) Vesicoureteral Reflux. This is where the flow of urine goes backwards from the bladder back to the kidneys. It especially important not to have an infection so that infected urine is not sent back to the kidney which causes even more damage.
He is currently on a nightly antibiotic to prevent further infection and we have an appointment with a pediatric urologist next week. Our pediatrician and the doctor that did the VCUG mentioned that surgery may be the only option at his age. Most children outgrow this problem by age six to eight. Little Mister is almost eight so chances are he will not outgrow it.
He has been having a hard time going to sleep because he is worried about having surgery. I have been letting him fall asleep in my bed even though I am not there….he just likes it better. Then I move him to his own bed when I go to bed. The first couple of nights after the test he woke with nightmares about surgery :( Poor kid.
His sister told him that if she could get through eye surgery two times, he could get through his first surgery without any problems. Thanks Little Miss.
1 comment:
Poor little guy! My brother had many problems when he was young with infections he finallly had to get "roto-routered out" as we called it and get a circumsision at 15. Although I think what your son has is diffrent, still it's no fun! But thankgoodness for pain meds, I'm sure all will go well.
Post a Comment