Friday at noon my 'ol BYU college roommate came with her son and took my kids from me.
It was planned.
I was looking for a sitter for the kids today so I could attend my birthday luncheon and she volunteered to take the kids on an overnight adventure.
Big Mister has been at scout camp all week.
I didn't hesitate AT ALL when she offered. I knew the kids would be more than excited and I was feeling the need for a little break. There, I said it. But don't we all need breaks? Surely I am not the only one that needs BY MYSELF TIME. Maybe 'cuz I'm so old! Or am I just feeling old because my birthday is upon me yet again? I don't know?
It was fun for the first few hours after the kids left. I finished cleaning the house (can't help it), went shopping (can't help that either), and watched a movie I picked up at the library (it was boring so I browsed a magazine at the same time). Oh, and I went to a song practice as I was asked to play the piano at the last minute.
The vacuum tracks stayed in the carpet all day. The chairs stayed tucked in under the table all day. Toys stayed in their place. Crayons and markers stayed put away. Furniture and pillows were not messed up. The TV could be at any channel I wanted. I didn't have to make lunch, dinner or breakfast. There was no arguing or fighting and not a dish in the sink.
It was just the peace I needed.
About 6:00 pm I started missing the kids. I finally called them at 8:00 pm and they were in playtime heaven. They didn't go to bed until about 11:00 pm (Little Miss says it was later) and when I called this morning at 11:15 am, Little Miss was still asleep. They will both be good and tired tonight. They were treated to a fun new pool, good food and snacks, games and a movie.
I stayed up until midnight reading a good book.
(3:30 pm Saturday: Blogging interrupted by children being returned to their rightful owner!)
It was weird going to bed with no one else in the house. In fact, I don't think that Big Mister and the kids have ever been gone at the same time. I was lonesome for some kid snuggling when I woke up. Little Mister is the best good morning hugger and snuggler!
Needless to say, I was due for some ME time. However, absence does make the heart grow fonder and makes one appreciate being a mother all the more. I want everyone home.
I missed the kids so much. I am pleased that they have been "clingy" and want lots of hugs. Just makes me feel better:)
Big Mister is due home any minute and then the real work begins! All the camping and cooking gear put away. Hose down all of our folding tables and chairs that he took. Clean out the coolers and jugs. Then the laundry.....oh, we won't even go there. That smokey, campy smell turns my stomach.
After Big Mister smells good again we are going to Ruby Tuesday for dinner. Since it's my birthday I get to pick the place. I want some good Talapia. Then Little Miss wants to take me to Charming Charlies where she and Little Mister can pick out something special for my birthday.
It's nice to be spoiled once in a while.
I really want a laptop for my birthday so we'll see how that goes. Any opinions on a good one? I can't decide whether I want a Mac or not. Hmmmm.
As I sit at the computer finishing this post, I hear the kids banging cupboards, opening closets and now they are out in the hot garage. I asked what they were doing and they told me it was a birthday surprise. Uh oh! I can't wait to see what it is they are up to. Another mess to clean up I'm sure of it. Oh well, it will be worth it to see the joy on their faces.
Now, I just need to remember how much I missed them when they were gone.
When I go to bed tonight everyone will be home and all will be right with the world.
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment