Last Fall I pulled out some landscaping shrubs that were not doing very well. This spring I was purchasing new plants to fill in the holes and the kids remembered the pumpkin seeds I had purchased. They really wanted to try to grow our own pumpkins so I figured we would grow them close to the garden at some point. I didn’t want them in our garden because their vines get so long and they’d overtake everything else. Through some prodding from the kids, I allowed them to plant one pumpkin seed in one empty hole. This was a test to see if the pumpkin seed would sprout and grow.
Well, look at it now. It’s not even in the right “garden'” soil and it’s on a dripper that only waters every three or four days. Maybe that Miracle Grow soil works after all!
Not only do we have a long pumpkin vine (that I keep twisting back around so it looks more like a shrub), there really are pumpkins growing. Lots of them. They look like pumpkin shaped watermelons.
My master gardener expert brother-in-law says I need to shade the plant through the hot summer and we’ll see if they make it into the Fall. I don’t know? He’s never grown pumpkins either.
I’m so glad I let the kids experiment with one pumpkin seed. It’s been fun for all of us. The kids and I have a good time watching for new pumpkins and checking for those awful SQUASH BUGS that killed my squash plants last year.
The newest addition to the pumpkin family.
No comments:
Post a Comment