
Today was our annual visit to the Pediatric Eye Specialist for Little Miss.
You can read the story about her eyes HERE.
I was dreading the visit, not only because these type of doctor visits are really long, but because deep down I knew what was coming.
Another surgery.
I was right.
After her first surgery, we were warned that another surgery was probable in the future.
In the last few months I had noticed her gradually beginning to "posture" again. Something that was very evident prior to her previous surgery. Posturing is a face turn or head tilt that is adopted to place the eyes in a position that either reduces nystagmus or improves eye alignment.
Basically, for Little Miss to focus on something straight ahead, she turns her head to the right but her eyes scoot all the way over to the left end of her eye so she can focus and see clearly. The surgery will correct the muscles behind the eyes so she looks straight ahead rather than posturing, or turning her head to focus.
We are grateful that her vision is near perfect. The doctor said it is likely she will need glasses for nearsightedness in her teenage years. We can accept that!
The surgery is scheduled for just before Thanksgiving so we have a little bit of time to prepare for the dreaded day.
4 comments:
She does have beautiful eyes! I always wished I had brown eyes. Please let me know when she goes in for surgery. You have brought me dinner a few times now and I would love the chance to return the favor! Your kids are adorable!
wow, I hope that surgery goes ok for her. she did a really good job with her pictures though! looking right at the camera and all!
I can totally relate to little miss eye situation. I have had two eye surguries--at 3 and at 11--they did not help in my case---my niece did have her eyes corrected. With Dr. O'neil (aka-dr good eyes) she is in good hands!!
What a beautiful picture! How lucky that she's young enough to still have the opportunity to get her Nystagmus fixed. My Dad's an Ophthalmologist and I worked for him, so I know something about it. Just be positive and upbeat when talking to her about the upcoming surgery. If you are optimistic, it will make her feel much more relaxed. She's such a sweet girl and you are an amazing Mommy! I'm sure all will go well:-)
Post a Comment