It was a nice breezy Sunday in April 2000. I knew Dad’s passing was eminent as he was in a Hospice Care Center. Dad was having a hard time leaving us here on earth so mom thought it was a good idea to help him along with one of our favorite family traditions...singing. Dad used to sing us lullabies while playing his guitar.
My four sisters, my mom and I gathered around his bedside on that sweet Sunday afternoon. As Dad laid in his bed we sang all of his favorite songs, from “I know that My Redeemer Lives” to “Home on the Range”. We sang for about 45 minutes. We could see his tears, at times it was so hard to sing but we knew he was enjoying it so we continued on. What a bittersweet time for all of us. When it was time to go we all said good-bye and kissed his cheek. We were all pretty sure this was our last good-bye while he was still alive. About three hours later I received the call that daddy had passed.
How grateful I was that we were able to spend this last day with him . Word had it that several other hospice patients also passed that day as they all enjoyed the sweet singing and the spirit it brought into the hospital:)
That evening all ten of his children along with spouses gathered around his bedside to say our final good-bye. The circle of life was complete. He finally rested in peace and was happily greeted by Grandma and Grandpa on the other side. I am so grateful that we were able to spend that last day with Dad. I am so thankful that I was able to be there with him and witness the end of his earthly life with the knowledge that it is just the beginning of great things in the next life.
8 years ago

2 comments:
Carla, you write so beautifully. Just like you teach ;)
I love this story. I'm glad you are writing about your past and sharing these wonderful photos.
Post a Comment