Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahhh, the memories of Thanksgiving.

My dad was the better cook and baker in the family. Every Thanksgiving he made THE BEST food. Turkey, dressing, gravy, everything was top notch and all from scratch. Heaven forbid if we had anything store bought. We still don't...that just wouldn't be right (not even the vegetable tray)! As I got older I was always in charge of making the rolls, oh well, at least I learned how. I just made a whole bunch yesterday, in fact. It was fun having the kids help as I want them to learn how to cook. Of course, their favorite part is rolling the dough into nice round balls (well, there's are somewhat round!). I want them to remember the cooking and baking Holiday traditions that Big Mister and I had growing up.

Dad's coconut cream pies were his famous tradition. He made a ton of them during Thanksgiving and Christmas because everyone wanted one. They still cannot be beat. My sister pretty much has it and can get them to taste like dad's. He had so many "secrets" that are not part of a written recipe. On Thanksgiving I miss Dad's coconut cream pies and I don't usually even attempt making them because I would probably be disappointed. Maybe one day I'll get it (with Sharron's help). Maybe Sharron made one for today and I'll get my fix for the year.

On another note, I love the rain! It woke me up last night several times because it was SO loud. Love it! I heard on the news that this is the first rainy Thanksgiving here in 20 years. Wow! Now it feels more like the Holidays!

I also woke up a lot last night because Little Mister was in my bed. It's not very often he gets to sleep with mom and dad. Because it was a Holiday and it was his turn we let him sleep with us (about once a year). Big Mister went to the couch (poor thing!). Little Mister woke up for good about 5:30 a.m. so I sent him back to his own bed because he cannot keep quiet and I WAS definitely sleeping in today. All kinds of sounds come out of that kids mouth when one it trying to sleep. I don't think he ever went back to sleep but at least it was quiet for a while in his own bed.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and enjoy the rain.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Glad you had such a great Thanksgiving! I'm finally getting back to you about the piano lessons. I do know that our teacher has openings. He is a really nice guy. He is just next door and goes to the singles ward. Let me know if you want his number. and now... Merry Christmas!!!