Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Where do I begin to tell the story
Of how great a love can be
...

When we were first married Big Mister had a habit of singing me his favorite love song. It's a real "oldy" but a real "goody".

Big Mister is a major history buff and loves reading history books that date way back. When we were dating and I needed to go to the college bookstore to get my text books, he'd by texts just for pleasure reading. I thought that was so crazy. We have quite a library!

One of his favorite songs is an Irish Song of the early 1800s. It was first printed in 1737 in London, but is probably much older. In 1808 Thomas Moore wrote the lyrics that are popular today.
It is said that Thomas Moore wrote the lyrics for the wife of the Duke of Wellington when she suffered facial scars from smallpox, though there is some doubt that this is true, as they were married in 1806, and their relationship was known not to be an affectionate one. Another theory is that Moore wrote it for his own wife. Here it is:

Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms
Believe me if all those
Endearing young charms
Which I gaze on so fondly today
Were to change by tomorrow
And fleet in my arms,
Like fairy gifts fading away
Though would'st still be adored
As this moment thou art
Let thy loveliness fade as it will
And around the dear ruin
Each wish of my heart
Would entwine itself
Verdantly still.

It is not while beauty
And youth are thine own
And thy cheeks
Unprofaned by a tear
That the ferver and faith
Of a soul can be known
To which time will but
Make thee more dear
No the heart that has truly loved
Never forgets
But as truly loves
On to the close
As the sunflower turns
On her god when he sets
The same look which
She'd turned when he rose.
As time has passed Big Mister sings this less and less. However, when he does sign it, it reminds me of the early days of our dating and marriage. I remember him singing this to me while he rubbed my painful tummy as I lay in bed suffering from a miscarriage. It was a very tender time and I will always remember the gentleness and doting affection that was all mine.


This Anniversary day will begin with Little Mister's last T-ball game. Hallelujah! It's getting way too hot for practices and games so we are all glad it's ending.

We are looking forward to Big Mister's parents coming over to spend the afternoon with the kids so we can go out and celebrate. They will definitely have a fun time with Grandma and Grandpa who will spoil them with lunch and bowling. They'll have a grand time.

We are going to see an afternoon movie and then have an early dinner. That's it. But, it's something we rarely get to do so we are excited.

Have a great Saturday!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy Happy Anniversary. What movie did you see? I hope you had a fabulous day. Sorry that I forgot...my brain is mush these days....

Susan said...

I hope your day was fabulous!

Ali said...

Happy Anniversary (belated)! Just a quick note to let you know I've made my blog private. For an invite send a quick e-mail to alitaylorbloginvite@yahoo.com and I'll add you to the list.