
I love Downy but it can be really pricey, even with the sales price matched with a coupon. If I purchase it, this is how I use it.
After each use I top off the Downy container with water. I keep doing this until just before the liquid becomes clear.
You can also use the Downy as is until half full. Then fill all the way back up with water and use until empty.
Either way you are stretching your dollar and doubling the amount of Downy. It works great and still leaves clothes smelling nice when watered down a bit.
Another way to save on fabric softener is by applying a small amount of liquid fabric softener to an old sock or wash cloth, then toss it into the dryer with the wet clothes. Just press part of the sock or wash cloth right over the opening of the softener bottle, tip the bottle over enough for a small amount of softener (size of a quarter), to be deposited onto the sock. Keep reusing it. You can easily keep track of a sock by tying it around the neck of the softener bottle.

Bounce sheets work just as well when only 1/2 sheet (or even 1/4 sheet) is used. They can also be used again for a second or third batch. Stretch your dollar and double your box.
Before throwing away a fabric softener sheet, use them to dust the TV and computer screens which helps to eliminate static and helps keep dust from resettling. They also work great for cleaning blinds and a myriad of other things found HERE.

Another option: Vinegar
When doing laundry, use vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of fabric softener. This deodorizes laundry and softens it too. The clothes do not smell like vinegar.

Dryer Balls
I am just making my very first dryer ball. The dryer ball bounces around in the dryer to soften clothes and absorb static cling. I have heard that dryer balls work really well and have been around for a very long time. A great alternative to chemical products. You can find the instructions for making them Here. I'll report back on how they work.

The 'ol clothes line is back in full swing! For towels you can hang to dry on the line and then throw them in the dryer for about 5 minutes to soften. Using the clothesline will dramatically cut down your electricity bill....but we all know that!!!!!


Drying Racks
I love these! A small investment in a dryer rack and you can get your money back on electricity savings in one month! You can set them on the back porch in full sun to dry your clothes quickly. For softening towels, once dry, put them in the dryer for a quick fluff if desired.
It's funny how we accept the need for all kinds of specialized products, and sometimes use them to excess. I love simple and thrifty alternatives. Maybe no fabric softener at all :)
3 comments:
I ♥ all of your ideas, Carla!
Carla, I love all these great tips. Keep them coming. You are such a fun mom to your kids. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks for the tips. We are going to start using the liquid fabric softener idea.
John M
Post a Comment